Monday, September 14, 2009

HOG Awards

HOG Awards (HOG stands for Hand of God) are given out by the students to people that they appreciate. Its just a verbal affirmation of kindness. Its pretty cool, although every time it happens, it takes me a second to realize what they're talking about because HOG Awards sounds a darn lot like Hogwarts.

Anyway, to go on with my actual story, last night after worship, we did HOG Awards here in the dorm. I was just sort of the outside observer, watching while the girls shared their appreciation of each other. It is a very cool thing to experience. Then, one of my favorites, raised her hand and gave me a HOG Award for something that had happened the night before. She had been really upset and kind of wanted to leave the school. I left her by herself to beat out her emotion on the punching bag. Then I decided to tell her something, which was that I had already really enjoyed getting to know her and I was glad she was here so that we could hang out. Apparently it really made a difference to her, which makes me happy. After her HOG Award, I got two more for taking girls to McDonalds and for sharing my rice heating pack with a girl who was in pain.

It really meant a lot to me to see that the girls not only like me, but are willing to share why they like me. I'm really enjoying getting to know them all and some of them have already proven themselves to be really fun, great girls.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Jessica! I'm glad you are settling in nicely. I would give you a HOG award, too, but in my case it would actually be a Hogwarts award because that also sounds super cool. Sorry that I've been a crappy friend right now in regards to getting in touch. I will get better, but right now I'm just so busy and tired and other things that it's been hard. I am thinking of you all of the time and miss you A LOT!

    ReplyDelete