Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Silly Things

So far as I can remember, 2 silly things have happened since I arrived. The first happened on Sabbath in the church. The church members lined up to shake our hands and greet everyone. One of the women was guessing which grade each student was in, and when I got to her, she guessed that I was a junior. I got to be amused by seeing her face when I said that, "no, in fact I'm the assistant dean." I found it quite funny.

The second thing happened partially in church and partially the next day at dinner. The church service for the day was a dedication of the staff and students of the Mt. Pisgah and the elementary school. I wasn't even sure that I was supposed to go on stage but when they asked for staff rather than faculty, I decided that that must include me. So, up I went. And because I went, so did the assistant boys dean. As soon as we made it to the stage, Mr. Anderson (Pisgah's principal) said that he'd like to introduce the new deans. We stood right up front to make it easy. Mr. Anderson started with the boys' assistant dean, whose name is Andrew. He is married and his wife is named Jessica. I bet you can see where this is going...

So, as Mr. Anderson is talking about Andrew, all I can think is "Oh shoot! Everyone is going to think I'm married to him. And here I'm standing, about six inches taller than him. Just great!"
I hoped that the announcement of my full name, including Kilgore, would be enough to clear that idea out of people's minds. After the dedication was over, I didn't think about it again.

The next day, as I was leaving the cafeteria and talking to a friend on the way out, one of the kids said, "Did you know that everyone thinks you're married to Dean Andrew?"

No comments:

Post a Comment