Sunday, August 23, 2009

The First Week

Well, it's been a long one! I got into Asheville about 6 pm last Sunday, August 16. I went to a shopping center after arriving because my flip-flop had just died and I didn't have any others. After buying a couple pairs at Old Navy and stopping to get some dinner, I headed back to the school. I arrived just before worship and so was able to participate by being introduced and then sharing my favorite Bible verse, which is Romans 8:28. It was a late night for me after my exhausting, but fun, weekend. It was the first night with a full dorm and everyone was pretty quiet, but that sure didn't last.

I work for Dean Becky, who is super sweet and very evidently an elementary school teacher. My RAs are Shawntez, Kristina, Reyna, Anna, and Sarah. They are a unique group of personalities and I'm enjoying getting to know them. I have now met almost all of Mt. Pisgah's faculty and staff. They are all very friendly and welcoming, making sure to tell me that they're glad I'm here. Its been nice to feel appreciated.

All last week, I sort of sat in the office during the day. Girls would come in and out. Some would say hi or wave. Others introduced themselves. Now I've got a pretty good idea of most of their names. It was great when what is called the Names & Faces came out, because now I actually have a way of figuring out their names.

Each evening last week, the school did an evening program called Core Values. The kids met in center campus and played games and learned together how to be a community. It was interesting to watch, but kind of difficult to stand on the outside as a staff member. I went to all but one of them. On Friday night, for Vespers, they did an Agape feast and Communion in the gym. I think it went pretty well except that the gym is really hot and stuffy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're settling in Jess, it's good to hear that you're in a friendly place.

    ReplyDelete